Born and raised in Germany, I soon decided the world's too big not to be seen. I loved living in Scotland, England, and Spain. I worked, studied, and had an all-round great time.
Until I met my husband, bless him.
After a year in the Canary Islands, his career moved us to Mexico. All of a sudden I was a "trailing spouse" without a purpose or a work permit. That was a very hard time for me.
Good bye Europe, hello identity crisis.
It took months of coaching, learning about cultural differences, and personality type to figure out what was happening and how to deal with or avoid similar challenges in the future.
Hubby and I are happy to report: our transition into the USA was a complete success.
I founded Building the Life You Want ("...wherever you are") to help out other expats and accompanying partners feel at home abroad, faster. Over time, this has developed into a more holistic passion for human understanding, personal and professional development, and an appreciation of diversity.
I am an accredited personal coach, an experienced culture trainer, an MBTI® Master Practitioner, and hold certifications in the Neuroscience of Type, the Berens CORE™ Approach, and a BA in HR Management.
Since 2008, I have worked with small business owners and entrepreneurs, as well as middle- and higher level managers in the oil, telecommunication, insurance, consumer products, manufacturing, and biotech industries.
- Accelerating their adaptation and effectiveness at work and at home for expats and their spouses in over 50 culture trainings
- Raising awareness about cultural differences, enhancing team building, and effective communication in over 12 multi-country group workshops with corporate and non-profit clients like The DO School,
- Debriefing 80+ individual MBTI® results, in service of career transition, relationship building, and conflict management
- Facilitating more than a dozen Type workshops, focusing on e.g. team work, communication, and project management
- Working on work-life balance issues, entrepreneurship, passion, and creativity with over 15 happy coaching clients in over 100 hours
I have also
- Held weekly onboarding trainings for international new employees at Ericsson in Plano, TX, for 2 ½ years
- Co-creating material for in-person and virtual content
- Presented at 3 international conferences
- Published a paper
- Crossing Cultures with Type, Type in Depth Journal, 2013
- Joined the NetExpat academy as a trainer of trainers
- Conducted qualitative research into how personality type influences cultural adaptation in expats
You can view testimonials and endorsements on my LinkedIn profile.
Sounds corny, but I love people, and I love my job. I’d love for everyone to get along and be happy. Whatever that means for you. If you’re not happy, talk to someone and figure things out. Or if talking’s not your thing, read about other people’s experiences and learn through reflection. Whatever works best, just give it a go.
This is your life we're talking about,
not only a career, or a relationship. Building the LIFE you want is a continuous process of looking at all the various components. It's not done until you're done. You'll be given the same lesson over and over again until you get it.
It's not enough to read one book.
It's not enough to eat well for one day.
It's not enough to be nice for one day.
It's not enough to be motivated for one day.
It's not enough to think positively for one day.
Learning, growing, developing, being healthy, enjoying loving relationships, having fun with your career, taking care of yourself - all these areas make up your life and need ongoing attention. My clients are healthy, motivated, inspiring people who invest in accountability, reflection, and support while they're going after the one (or more) things they want. I love working with my coaching clients while they're building their life. It's a precious and humbling privilege to be part of their journeys.
What else would you like to know?
I like pub quizzes, cider, reading, hand lettering, movies, anything with a Scottish or Irish accent, sleeping, music, swearing, comedians, brain-stuff, pizza, equality, and freedom. Not necessarily in that order.
Our families think we’re nuts because hubby and I follow the whole foods plant-based diet, or healthy vegan for short.
When I'm not talking Type and Culture, I draw letters and practice calligraphy. Learn Copperplate Calligraphy with my Skillshare class here: skl.sh/2wQJ3BD my creative services website here: www.dorisfullgrabe.com and follow me on Instagram here: instagram.com/dorisfullgrabe.